38-year-old man awarded $2M after botched circumcision results in vasectomy

38-year-old man awarded $2M after botched circumcision results in vasectomy

A 38-year-old Burmese man was awarded US$2 million on Wednesday after a circumcision went wrong and resulted in a vasectomy. Zaw Zaw, who doesn’t spea

Taco Bell suggests putting Rolled Chicken Tacos in a BLENDER to make new soup recipe
Johnny Depp is ordered to submit drug and alcohol medical records by judge
World Heart Day 2019: Heart diseases are a leading cause of female mortality

A 38-year-old Burmese man was awarded US$2 million on Wednesday after a circumcision went wrong and resulted in a vasectomy.

Zaw Zaw, who doesn’t speak English and was relying on an interpreter, went to the Iowa Clinic in December 2015 after being referred for the procedure.

On the day of his surgery in January 2016, Dr. Kevin Birusingh performed a vasectomy instead after a major lapse in communication, WhoTV reports.

“In four places on the referral form, it said circumcision, circumcision, circumcision, circumcision,” Zaw’s lawyer, Marc Harding, told the broadcast station. “The interpreter filled out intake forms and said, ‘We filled out that it was to cut the skin.’”

READ MORE: Patient awarded $500,000 after medical staff caught mocking his manhood

“That particular document ended up being shredded.”

Story continues below advertisement

Harding argued that it was Birusingh’s job to make sure Zaw understood what was happening, adding that they’d tried to reach a settlement before the trial, to no avail.

“They blamed him. They said he should’ve known we were wrong in the way we were doing it and pointing the finger at him the whole way through,” Harding said.

The hefty verdict agreed on by the jury said that the doctor bears 70 per cent of the blame, while Zaw is accountable for 30 per cent.

3:57 Paul Harte Medical Malpractice Lawyer talks with Farah Nasser about fertility doctor

Paul Harte Medical Malpractice Lawyer talks with Farah Nasser about fertility doctor

“Dr. Bireusingh, he was the professional,” Harding stated. “He was the one that should have made sure because he was the one cutting on the body.”

A statement shared with Global News by the Iowa Clinic’s chief marketing officer Amy Hilmes said: “We are grateful for the jury’s hard work and are pleased that no fault in this matter was assigned to The Iowa Clinic. It is important to note, the physician involved in this case has not been on staff with the clinic for more than a year.”

Hilmes added that the US$1.4 million assigned to the doctor — his percentage of the blame — will be paid by his insurance.

This isn’t the first time the Iowa Clinic has been in headlines, however.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: ‘It just makes me sick’: Shuswap patient receives someone else’s medical records

Earlier this year, a man won US$12.2 million after the clinic misdiagnosed him with prostate cancer, and removed his prostate as a result.

Polk County jury ordered the clinic to pay Rickie Huitt, 65, millions after they mixed up samples with those of someone who tested positively for the cancer.

He suffered nerve damage and was left impotent after the necessary procedure.

meaghan.wray@globalnews.ca

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0